Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Buskirk near sunset

64  F  clear

#626  Hoosic River @ Buskirk Bridge

9-23-15

11x12












I pretty much came right here.  I had done this scene a little while ago and it  was recently re-posted, so I was thinking about it.  As I drove up I could see the mirror-like reflection on the water and the bright light on the abutment, and knew I'd need to be quick.










I started with the brightest. warm light, It would not last.

















I worked the most different things in order: the sky (next in value), followed by the water reflection.  After the three lights, I did the darkest (greens),then the dark red (but lighter than the green).










By this time the light was off the abutment, and I was faking it.
















This is where I ended up, I worked too long after the light changed, the loss of the brightest light, doesn't just remove that item, it changes all the other values in the scene, so everything is different, even the perception of drawing.











The "Money Shot".






















My pallet.


















My spot.



















This is the view up the river the other way.The drama of light and shade create unexpected patterns, infinite in variation and always changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment