Friday, December 19, 2014

Pook's with a video on measuring

30  F  mostly cloudy with bits blue sky later.
Here is the "Money Shot" from today.

#452 Battenkill @ Pook's

11 x 14












I went up to Shushan to visit a friend, Ollie came too, he has a dog friend, and we took a little hike.  We go right by Pook's and it looked good so I stopped.

Here are most of the darks, my tone is too warm.













Here is my u-tube video about measuring, I did it at this point in the painting, it was perfectly set up, so why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2BVpr4r2ks




Sky, snow and reflection. all the colors are so not there that the scene lives in this narrow place where subtle changes have a lot of meaning, but there so quiet, it's like a whisper, while the play of light and dark are very loud.










By this time I had most of the panel in play. I don't understand why during the winter my paintings go fuzzy. For some reason I can't get any traction on edges, although there are some here.....












Here is where I ended up.  I can't say I'm pleased with it. the water wasn't a different enough in color to anything else and it doesn't even look like water, oh well there is always tomorrow.














Here is the scene, the clouds started to open up, and that was good.















This scene had the makings of a much better result, when I started the scene was totally over cast, maybe this sudden burst of color in the middle of the painting threw me off.






















4 comments:

  1. It is a pity that the sky did not open up before, maybe a little bit of light blue would have been good in this painting. But I like it as it is a winter painting anyway. If you paint in December in your area, nobody expects bright colors. Have a nice week end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about 1/2 way through the painting when a little blue showed through the clouds, I scrapped back some of the grey and put in some blue, but I should know better, the world doesn't work like that! Everything is so connected that the blue I just stuck in, couldn't change the rest of the colors. Thanks, Matt

      Delete
  2. I love da bridge painting - any bridge - train bridge - car bridge. Just love dat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joey, I appreciate your comment and reading my blog!

      Delete