Sunday, December 28, 2014

Back on the Farm: Birch Rd.

40  F  Mostly cloudy & WINDY!
It's been a week since my last paint, so many distractions so much cloud cover, but I was back from Christmas and the there was a little thinning of the clouds, I found this scene.

#454  Birch Rd.

14 x 16








When I saw the rushing stream with the silos in the back, (a few unresponsive cows) I had to stop.















Warm lights.

















This kind of scene is challenging because when you look at the reflection off the water, the ground around it looks very dark, when you look at the ground and not the water, it looks lighter and greener. This is the best illustration of how looking with your own eyes is far different that looking at a photograph.









There were a lot of weird things going on, the shape of the opposite side of the creek was dramatic, maybe too much.














The wind was kicking up and whoosh the easel went over!
















This is where I stopped, after about 1 1/2 hrs.  The wind had died down and I was able to fiish. The light was moving lower and the contrast between the reflection and everything else was increasing, I liked that.











This is the scene at the end.

















Sight-size shot.

















This has been my least productive month in a long time,  I'm resolved not to panic, everything ebbs and flows, and a short break can help gain just a little perspective. None the less it was great to be back out there painting, the clouds and the wind, just  nuisances.









4 comments:

  1. The wind had died down and I was able to fiish. The light was moving lower and the contrast between the reflection and everything else was increasing, I liked that.

    What did you catch except for a lovely painting? It's a great scene it looks a bit bleak there but the scene itself is awesome, would stop aswell for it.

    Have a Happy New years Mat, I'll bet you'll catch up with the productivity befor you know it, ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a bit of the infinite, for a minute..... Thanks Rene, it's great to know you're out there painting along with me, inspiring and good company! May this year be your best!!!

      Delete
  2. I like this work despite of the dark tones. The sky has got an interesting light.
    Do not worry if December was not as productive as you planned. I am sure it is like this for most of us: in December, we have to write cards, see relatives, prepare special dinners, finish some other work, begin to deal with tax declarations and... much more.
    I am sure this New Year will be great for you! I wish you and your family a very happy New Year 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all of those things and in the end it's good to have time away even from the things you love most. Hope this new year is the best ever for you, Chani!

      Delete