Thursday, December 18, 2014

Glens Falls: more dam water.

34  F  cloudy with 1/2 minute of sun.
I went to Glens Falls today to drop some paintings off, then to Lake George to see the paintings of my friend, Liz Coyne.

#451 Hudson River @ Glens Falls

7 x 10










I came to this spot because the paper mill by the falls is pretty awesome, I'm along the "feeder canal trail".















I hadn't painted for a while, but my pallet was still wet! (sort of) shows just how lazy.....anyway, here I started by putting down the warm lights, and I did use the Gamblin paint.  (I had forgotten my brushes, so I walked back ten minutes to my van which I scoured and found one stray brush)









 Cool whites  (well blue)

















 Having one brush, a #8 flat which I don't use, was a bit of a handicap, but it was the only one so I was happy to have it.














This feels so crude to me.

















The day's brush.

















Here is where I ended up. I've been doing a lot of "other things" Which I keep off the blog, but it's been cloudy and rainy and who wants paintings of cloudy days or rain, I don't even want them! so I move appliances and do the recycling, bla bla bla.....










I almost caught the moment a bit of sun raked over the bridge.....
















Sight-size shot.  I wanted to do a video today, but after the brush debacle.......















I first found this on the map. the official parking area is off a side street, but the trail crosses the main road  10 minutes trudging in over snow, (and the subject bridge) which is State Route 9.

 Dear reader;
Thanks for persevering through this blog, please feel free to comment and tell me what you like and what you don't.

Matt














4 comments:

  1. Matt, it is amazing you you succeed in making something magic out of such a "ugly" (at the first sight) landscape. It is good work despite of having one single brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chani, I love scenes like that, and I chose it because of the super dark of the water under the bridge, with it being so cloudy, there are fewer contrasts to be had.

      Delete
  2. When I first saw this painting I was really impressed! What a dramatic painting! You captured the essence of the scene and made a very interesting painting out of an otherwise blah scene! BRAVO! then I read how you painted this with one lone brush! Even more amazed! Awesome painting Matt! Love it! Great feeling for the atmosphere! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinne, I appreciate your comment. I do love industrial works when there near equally awesome natural places, sublime.....

      Delete