Thursday, October 30, 2014

Battenkill@ Salem St, Greenwich, & how I tone panels.

53  F  clouds and sun.


# 429 Battenkill @ Salem Rd, Greenwich

12 x 16













When I went out this morning I wanted water and I wanted something industrial. This is a revisit from last winter.














The light and the colors were spectacular, and the overlook was like a symphony!















There were large heavy clouds, and equally large areas of clear blue sky.
















There was a lot of real estate to cover, and the view, from up on the embankment, looking down, also had it's challenges.














Despite the bright colors of a few trees, and some grass, a lot of the trees were thin veils of gray, on top of thin veils of grey.














At this time I'm trying to hit the color/value of areas that seem to blend in with each other, it's a mess. The edge of the dam and the other water works are yet to be defined.













I always start with the big brushes and work my way down to smaller ones, the dam needed smaller brushes, and had to wait.














At this point I hadn't noticed how weird the reflection in the water above the dam was, it may have been because I was looking down at the foreground and across at the far hills and the middle ground, well had some problems.....











Here is where I ended up, there were a bunch of unresolved issues, but in a way the nature of the scene, that is, it's odd angle, maybe it's OK.















My scene


Sight-size shot


















This is my spot, the road is Salem St. also rt.29, I'm in the village of Greenwich, going towards Salem.

















I was going to do a separate blog post on this, but it's really not that big of a thing.















I used an old tube of burnt umber, sometimes I use paint off the pallet, and I'll mix on a hunch, according to how the last bunch felt. I usually do one of each size, not too many more.












With there being so much turpentine in the mix, you could say this is "lean"
















This dries real quick, but it's handy to have a bunch at the ready.



This is my shop, it's a mess, filled with all my carpentry and building stuff, tools, scrap materials, hardware, paint, etc. but a perfect place to do anything messy, and I like that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The colors of the leaves in the fall make this scene to a unique spot. The way you painted the dam is impressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chani, yes this is a rare spot, and it does have it's challenges, the light and color was truly spectacular!

      Delete