Saturday, September 13, 2014

First video! Owlkill Rd. & Jodie Rd. revisited: Painting # 400

55 F  cloudy, then rain,
This is a test, this is only a test!




    This is the first two snippets, they merged magically by themselves when I uploaded them onto the blog, as they did with the 3rd and 4th snippets, (in the next video), but they seem to now be all here. Please excuse the poor sound quality, there is some road noise and some wind noise, and I mumble a bit. 

    My aim in presenting these is not to produce another "how to" that would be boring. I want to express some of my process, thought and real, wild as it may seem. I can't stress enough the aspect of looking and seeing nature in front of me, I mentioned that it's not what I put on the canvas, but that's not entirely true (I'm lying to you already!).  As a landscape painter, for me, anyway, nature is GOD, and before her, I need to open my eyes, and really look, really notice all that I see. That is first, the resulting physical remnant, the painting, is a record, it's an interpretation, a stolen document, yes, filtered by me, but not created by me, and this is why I can't work from photographs, or from memory, this is a visual art, and my eyes need to see what's in front of them. 




    There it is, me in the flesh, I'm not sure where this will go, it took a bit more out of me, and hours to deal with the results, but everything has it's learning curve......as always I thank you for reading and today watching, please leave a comment, good, bad or ugly, Thanks!


Here it is about 1/2 way through, the video has me a bit out of habit....

This is where I finished. just before it took a face plant in the wet grass, before I could take the "money shot" the winf and rain started and I had to go!

My scene, Thanks for looking, reading and watching my blog!


2 comments:

  1. I suppose your will get quite different feedbacks... It was fun to hear your voice and to watch at the video despite the poor sound quality. But, personally, I prefer to read your texts than watching your explanations: I find videos in general quite time consuming, and a written text makes possible to re-read the message as many times as I want and to reflect on it more easily (just my point of view).
    From time to time, a video with better sound quality could be fun, but I would not do it too often...
    I like your text above. I understand that you cannot paint from photographs as landscape painter and that you need the nature in front of you to be creative, even if you are not reproducing it 100%, as there is something of you in every work. As abstract painter, I do not especially need to have the nature in front of me to paint, but I need to be full of it (like a sponge when it is full of water) to work. I could not paint from photographs either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughtful and honest comment, Chani. I'm not sure how I feel about the video, it seemed to make my painting session about when I would stop and talk, and that interrupted the flow of painting. When I take pictures it's not intrusive at all just point and shoot. But there was something fun and personable about it and it allowed me to say things I haven't fully fleshed out in writing. I know what you mean about reading as opposed to watching, and maybe I should work more on writing. The video was popular, and my readership went up quite a bit, so maybe a short one every now and then would work. I know making art is true to each artist, my truth would not be appropriate for maybe no one else, and we each need to nurture our own "nature" be that what it may! (I love the sponge analogy, full one day squeezed out another!)

    ReplyDelete