Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Lunar landscape? underwater? sand bar in Hoosick river? all of these!

90  F  humid, cleared after torrential thunder showers!
The lighting got better and better toward the end of the session, started about 6:30 ended about 8:30

#333 Hoosick River @ Buskirk's Bridge

12 x 16

Available






I made a bee line to Buskirk's Bridge, after the rain and thunder was over, everything is looking different, the mid summer has depth in color, the greens have matured and some thing are dried and yellow, but I didnt stop because I wanted water!









I found that the river was low and a sand bar was revealed! This photo shows the surreal place I painted, a view not available when the river is high, so when I saw it I jumped at the chance!










Here is a bigger picture!















I went ahead and put down the dark with the pallet knife.














looking very weird.

















Working back from the dark mass of trees and their reflection actually worked out OK.











The evening was calm and most of the session the water reflected the scene, maybe with a slight ripple.....













The reflection really needs to be reasonably accurate or the scene just doesn't look right, and the color of the bridge, being a painted item also needs to be convincing......











Here is where I ended up.















Here is my scene.















I would have been under water!















By the end of the session, the sky was getting dusky, beautiful, but I didn't want to chase it.....




















Sight size shot.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, well done. This sand bank is such an inviting place indeed!

    ReplyDelete

  2. thanks Chani! the world seems to be in constant change, and change is good, no?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I suppose we have no choice. The world is changing (good or bad, depending), we have to adapt and try to make the best of it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! For moment I feared you were going "abstract" on us (image #3) :)

    ReplyDelete