Sunday, February 15, 2015

Fiddling while Rome burns.

-4  F  f***ing cold!
#349 Eagle's Nest Pond, Adirondacks, NY.

July 20, 2014

12x16


  The weather has not cooperated at all, I have limits and when the wind chill is well below zero, and snow is whipping that's it and I'm climbing the walls, waiting.....







Here is the link to the blog post of the above painting:

http://www.mattchinian.com/2014/07/adirondack-weekend-part-2-more-newness.html



     I wanted to muse a bit about this world we inhabit. There are times when I'm convinced we're headed for world war III.  Our country and our world, (the people that pretend to run it, anyway) seem to think that  military actions will solve military actions. (this is insane!)  Everybody has something to say but no one is listening, ideologues and extremists know how to get attention, while the pragmatists and moderates can't get a word in edgewise. The merchants of death reap profits on the misery of millions, and their greed is worshipped. Has it always been this way?  Are we fated to repeat, the same mistakes of our forebears? (yes, unfortunately).

       So why go out and paint pictures in beautiful places, in a manner as it has been done for centuries?  Isn't that the definition of fiddling while Rome burns? Could it be self indulgent? irrelevant? a distraction?  all of the above? (I'm not Nero)  but America is Rome and it, like all empires will fall.  I fully realize my anointed place on this earth at this time and being able to live a life millions, maybe billions of others would only dream of.  I have a beautiful wife and two extraordinary daughters. We live in a nice house in a nice town, We are happy, healthy we have clean water, cars, clothes  and money and want for nothing.   This is me and my life is a result of the luck of being born into the right family at the right time and having so many advantages from the start.
Most, I know are not so lucky.  I go and paint while the world is falling apart around me and I don't have a clue as to how to save it.

 








No comments:

Post a Comment