Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fly home

rain, sun,
Somewhere over the North Atlantic from Paris to Boston, August, 15, 2014













I usually have more photos than commentary, but I just wanted to write a few lines now.  My journey home was uneventful, and that's always good, no delays, no missteps, no problems; from Schloss Spetzgart, to my parents house, in Newton, Ma. (last leg to Cambridge, NY. today!).  I read the text of the exhibit, cover to cover; every word German and English, while on the plane. I hopped more than anything to keep the words, spoken, the notes played, in my ears; the pictures, fresh in my eyes.  My state of being on the way home was exhaustion, 3 weeks action packed, painting, attending openings, concerts, studios, meeting people, listening, talking and visiting places I could not have imagined.  And maybe drinking a little beer, OK lots of beer, wine and Irish whisky........

Painting was a big part, of course, I wanted to break through something in my work,(I'm not sure what) and I know painting a lot is always good. To get the paint flowing, to forget how to paint, to stop thinking about paint.  Even after 36 paintings,  I still felt that I could have painted more.  Getting to know the work of my fellow artists, now friends, to understand what they thought about, to hear the questions they ask, of themselves and the world. To be part of that, to cross-reference, to witness; this was awesome!

It was also exciting for me to meet so many people, from the  farmers walking by when I was out in the country side  to the painter (who was doing the decorative work on the stable at Schloss Salem) .  I met other parents of teenagers, and forged an instant bond. So many people, who helped in so many different ways, made me feel welcomed, and cared for. Collaborating with Chris Soppa, painting scenes she had written about, and had so much historical knowledge of, and of course, following her husband Ralf to the city of Constance, return ferry ticket and map in hand. So many people, I'm sorry to leave most out of this commentary, but they are in my heart.

On my way, through the airports, security, finding my gates,  I'm thinking of seeing my girls, my family; thinking of all that has happened.  Overwhelmed by the emotions I was feeling, how will the world look to me now? Have I betrayed those I love the most, by loving the adventure that took me so far from them?  I fought back tears, tears of joy, tears of the overwhelming experience of coming so close to something so big.









3 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Matt! Glad to hear that your journey back home was smooth.
    Reading such a nice text, I think you could begin a second blog - as essayist ;-)
    Of course, you could have painted more, but you are not a machine. All the experiences you lived in Germany were as precious as the painting activity itself: it will remain a unique experience in your life.
    And, no, I do not think that you have betrayed those you love the most. Of course it was a sacrifice for them. But I am sure that your adventure is going to enrich their lives as well, because you are going to share it: your girls are still young, may your adventure wake in them the curiosity of seeing other parts of the world, learning languages, art techniques, meeting people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chani, I'm now back in Cambridge, at my own house, still on German time! I'm glad you liked my commentary, but I think I'll stick to the "painter's log" format, I'll soon unpack, do laundry, sort out the stuff in my suitcase and do all the things on my now long "to-do" list. I do think your right about sharing this with my family, and I think that could be the best part after all!

      Delete
    2. Of course, my comment on starting another blog was rather a joke. Better sticking to one thing and doing it well! Happy to ready that you are now back in Cambridge with your family.

      Delete