Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Skellie Rd.





This was the temp. when I left the house about 11;00 or so. There were clouds and some sun, and the wind gusted a bity now and then.













Here is my scene just after noon today, It's on Skellie Rd, Greenwich (I think),  right on the Battenkill River, and a place not 100 yards away where I've painted a few times.












Here is where I began with my pallet.
















I'm still using this really "cool" tone, maybe I'll warm up the next batch.













Sorry this was the first pic. It was cold, when the wind blew especially, had to hang onto the easel, when it was calm and the sun was out it was actually nice!











The clouds were doing some nice things, so I tried to use them in the composition. They moved really fast so....












I've been dying to paint snow, and that's why I picked this scene,  there was at least a bit  When the sun hit the barn roof, wow! luckily it stayed the same most of the session, which was sun on the barn, then off the barn and back, it was a reasonable back and forth.









Here is where I ended the session, I lasted about 1 1/2 hours, not bad,  I'm in "get it done" mode, so not much foolin' around.

I'll probably fuss with it a bit, but will have to look at it some more.....












My pallet at the end of session.















Right across the road.

















Looking south on Skellie Rd.






















12 comments:

  1. Nice! Looks cold and the clouds came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice and fresh painting! Such a little amount of snow you've got, in Russia we have everything covered with it already :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gregory, I'm doing the snow dance....I think it may work!

      Delete
  3. I like the clouds as they are on your painting! (Just wondering how you can paint in the snow without freezing too much...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chani, The clouds seem to be accidental, the sun was right above my scene, and the clouds were moving very fast, I tried to get the right value on the shadow (underside of the cloud, and I think I got close, but their actual shapes..... I wear a lot of clothes!

      Delete
  4. Definitely a winner, great sky and earth tones. I just admire your approach, that no fuss- this is how I see the world makes your work very authentic. Besides you have to respect a landscape painter that gets out in these temperatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim, The cold makes me paint differently, I'm not sure if it's better, but the results do come out in the work. I don't see any other way of working, and it may be classified as insane, so be it. Cheers! Matt

      Delete
  5. I agree with the others , Matt. You have a winner going there. If fact, from here, it looks like you're done. Often not "fooling around" is best -- keeps paintings fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Don and Karen for your kind words, I'll often "forget" to put in tree branches, and feel like there missing when I get them home, I also like to "correct" certain lines that I feel need to be "broken" for the sake of a more visually coherent composition, but it's almost always within a day of the painting while I still have the un-cleaned up pallet around. As for the "fresh" look, that's the cold!

      Delete