Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Content Farm Rd. the forest through the trees(or is it the trees through the forest?)

42  F  mostly cloudy,
Here is where I ended up today.




















This is what I first looked at, I had seen it yesterday it's really close to my house.















The light didn't stay that way.




















I had to run for about 45 minutes, and by the time I came back.....














I'm still using the orange-toned canvas, we'll see how the new ones look, and how much of a difference it makes.


















I had forgotten about the first light, and worked with what I had in front of me.



















It really needed a lot more orange in the leaves. And it would have been awesome if the light had stayed in the forest, I've been reading the Gruppe book and I liked what he said about trees.














An easy a quick place, that's as good as any exotic location!














4 comments:

  1. I like what you're doing with it, at first I was thinking you should be adding more light into the reflection on the trees, but I actually like it better the way you have it where you finished, in fact so far, I think you're spot on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, Thanks for your comment, gray days are often weird, and it can be daunting to try and get lights and darks to do their respective jobs. If anything I was most disappointed with the color of the fallen leaves in the foreground, and I will definitely return to this spot and try again.

      Delete
  2. Matt, this is nice. If I may suggest: The limb on the tree in the foreground leads the eye out of the painting. You can correct this by adding a few leaves (suggested) at the edge of the canvas, or curve the limb back INTO the painting. Although most of your branches lead the eye toward the left, one foreground branch can make for a more interesting composition. Sometimes we have to improve on nature. Right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, Thank you for your comment! Your observation is a good one and I'm hoping that I can get a fix right. Usually I'll bring a painting home and try and "fix" it while I have the same pallet (and painting) still wet. It's also sometimes hard to see your own work because your so intimate with it. I'll often paint things out that I don't want in my paintings, or change little things, but only if I actually recognize that it would make a better composition. I just found your blog, it's great! Thanks again, Matt

      Delete