Saturday, April 26, 2014

How I make canvas panels!


This is my 2nd post on making panels, I think I've got it down, I'm well over 300 panels made, and that includes a bit of experimentation.











I get 1/8" tempered hardboard, or that's what they call it at the lumber yard, they deliver it's about $14.00 a 4' x 8' sheet, I cut it in 1/2 with a skill saw, then cut it up into my standard sizes, (mostly) on the table saw. I wake them slightly smaller, so when I wrap the canvas around it's not too big.








I lay the board on the cotton denim, I think it's 12 oz's if that's even relevant. I then mark around the edge using my 3/4" stick and cut it with scissors.
My standard sizes are:
12 x 16
11 x 14
9 x 12
8 x 10
And a few :
14 x 16
7 x 10
I cut more panels than I had canvas for.


I stack them all up, 25 in total!















I'm using elmers white glue, I just brush it on, it's the most time consuming part of the job.













I lay the canvas on top, it's a bit tricky to get it right on, but after 300 I should be good at it. I then rub the canvas from the center out, with the heavy cloth air bubbles are not a problem, some wrinkles don't come out immediately, but once the glue soaks in there gone!








I flip'er over.....















 Paint the edge with more glue...















Fold the edges over.















Cut the corners, I do this so they don't get too thick.














All glued up!















I stack them up face to face with Plexiglas (plastic shopping bags work too) between the backs so they don't stick,  let them go over night, they still have some drying to do when I lay them out the next day.











Once the glue has dried, I make some rabbit skin glue, and when it's hot and smells all rabbit skinny, I paint it on, backs first...











Two coats on the top, once the first is dry.















25 more Panels!  I'll tint them just a few at a time....

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Chani, I like doing this, and I like the results (and the cost is reasonable...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maja! glad to hear you can use the post, best of luck, Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. Zonnepanelen

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can mount it flush to the ground or rooftop, yet you need to put resources into a mounting framework.Zonnepanelen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You might be interested about how daylight is changed into power. Zonnepanelen

    ReplyDelete
  6. In states that happen to be "perfect" for solar, for example, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, California, Arizona, Massachusetts Colorado and Hawaii, just as others, a solar panel framework pays for itself after as meager as three to five years and supply trustworthy, long haul vitality investment funds. Zonnepanelen installateur

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the most common causes of damage to these electronics is the application of stress like variation is temperature, the rate of current flow and the voltage applied. These variables should always be kept within the limits which are permissible by the manufacturer.Viking , Wolf, Dacor, BlueStar, GE Stove & Range Repair in Los Angeles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Contrast the board measurements with the dynamic territory to keep away from a waste. Installateur zonnepanelen

    ReplyDelete
  9. An edge is typically made of anodized aluminum which gives structure and inflexibility to the solar module. Zonnepanelen

    ReplyDelete
  10. DIY solar panels are clearly less expensive, in any case, the quality contrasts can be incredible, also that you should place a ton of work into it, in the event that you need your new panels to perform appropriately.Zonnepanelen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Make sure that you lay all the scrap paper or covers you can across the floor, and make sure no area of the real floor can be seen where you will be painting. paysonspainting.ca

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog. I attempted to paint my home by myself. But I felt it is exceptionally time-oriented work. And I will not be able to wrap up the work. So I hired a company. Their service was extraordinary as well as hassle-free. Pelican Paint

    ReplyDelete