Sunday, April 19, 2015

A familiar spot: Battenkill @ Battenville. Genocide centennial approaches.

58  F mostly sunny!
   I've painted this bridge quite a few times, today I thought I wanted some sky and some water, some of the purple wooded hill and some foreground with trees and stuff.

#509  Battenkill @ Battenville

4-19-15

9x12







I got out early, my kids were sleeping and Alane had her post in the bike race, I was tired and should have slept in too....














Here is the pallet at the start. I transfer the good paint onto a pallet that fits the panel, so it's a 9x12 pallet, a little small, but it lets me carry it all at once.




















The sun is to my back and there is a little glare, oh well.
















The basic concept is to "paint the most different thing" and to look at the shapes and colors and paint them as you see them. I find myself lost anyway, this scene was mostly light-to-mid tone with a few light and a few dark spots.











This was out of control, and stayed pretty much out of control until I quit.















Still lost.....

















I got it here and thought OK, I can get out now. The scene has layers of stuff, on top of other stuff, and I like that, but it can be difficult to pull off.













I'm more apt to paint right along the river's edge, but I wanted the light reflection off the water as I saw it from here, even though I don't tink I actually got it, I did like the composition.




















The pallet at the end.
























     I've kept this blog focused on my painting, and refrained from personal or political commentary.  I am a descendant of survivors of the Armenian Genocide, of both my Mom's and Dad's.  Their stories are mine, and I am here because they lived, so much a part of me, and what drives me to be who I am. This week marks 100 years since the start of the Genocide. I will post the published  account  of my paternal Grandfather sometime soon.

    As always, thanks for reading, Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment