Sunday, June 1, 2014

Pencil Creek @ Duel Hollow Rd.

68  F  sunny,  few clouds.
I've got two days to get ready for my painting festival in Canandaigua, NY, and I'm hopelessly behind.... so I went out and painted this A.M. before a soccer game....

#307 Pencil Creek @ Duel Hollow Rd.

8 x 10

Price on request




 This is a favorite spot, and still very challenging. I wanted to do a small close-up.













There wan't a lot of darkness in this but the darks present held a lot of weight.














Green!















The reflection was made up of a color that looked light blue in some respects and brown in others, depending on how you move your eye over the surface.











I had a hard time with the dirt, didn't know how light it was supposed to be, and in general the black mix, changing brands of ultra marine.....




























This painting just sorta poked along.....















The shadow gave me some trouble....
















The cows finally made it over to my field of vision, and she was an easy study.













The scene, there is so much detail to life...... how does one even begin to represent it in paint, you must be mad even to try!












 Here is my pallet, I've had trouble with my mixed black since I changed brands of ultramarine blue, maybe I should just use some black...


4 comments:

  1. Matthew, This is just great the way you explained your steps. I always am amazed how much your paintings fit right in the landscape. And, I always have trouble with black. I mix red, green and blue together instead..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the light needs a dark to work, and I've mostly mixed my black, but this can be problematic as well, because there are so many variables. Thanks for reading my blog, if you have questions or suggestions let me know, there are so many things that go through my head while I'm painting, I can only write/document a fraction of them....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your painting is just perfect in the landscape. Those stones on the right side of the creek look like difficult to paint...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chani, They were! when you have things competing to be the lightest, but they're not they seem to fight with each other!

    ReplyDelete