Sunday, June 15, 2014

Battenkill @ pooks, a hidden spot.

70  F  cloudy with some sun lovely Father's day!
I wanted water, I came to Pooks, it's where County Rt. 64 crosses the Battenkill, near the hamlet of Shushan.

It took me a while to find the exact spot, I've painted in the vicinity many times, and really like the RR bridge.


#321

12 x 16

Available


Here is Ollie, it's hard to see but there's a Huck Finn path down to the water.














This is what I found.















I put the easel up in this thicket, and didn't have much room to step back, sorry about the glare!













I've done this before, where I'm looking under a bridge, and the sky is a reflection in the water, I like that.














Greens.














I didn't want to have the bridge exactly horizontal to the panel, even though it almost was.













I liked the way the light illuminated from behind the bridge in the green and the way it bounced off the water, the sun would show up and then go behind clouds, and that changed everything back and forth.










My theory about getting the tones in the  initial 15 minutes (or 30 or 45)  prevails, at least it did for me today.













The light came around, so I moved my panel, I was there painting for about 2 hours, I spent about 20 minutes finding the spot.












This is where I ended up, the light had fundamentally changed, not just with the clouds moving over, and I wasn't able to see it anymore, but I think I had gotten what I wanted!











Here is the sight-size shot, it's how I paint it, I loved this scene, but it was hard to move around in the brush.













You don't have to go far to have adventure......




















If you look very carefully you can see the painting. I took this from the road (C.R.64) I'm not 20 yards from the road.












Ollie had a good time, he likes to swim!

2 comments:

  1. I think I have seen this spot a couple of times already but this time, the light is quite different! Well done.
    And - beautiful Ollie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chani, yes, I've been here many times, and Ollie loved hanging out with me by the water, he got to swim, sun himself in the grass, and I think he was greeting the fishermen and boaters, but I didn't actually see him!

    ReplyDelete