Thursday, November 28, 2013

Dionondahowa Falls Once in 7 years, turkey on a birthday!

28  F  sunny and calm
https://www.etsy.com/shop/MattChinianPaintings

Here is where I ended up today. It's my 52nd birthday!
















Look at where I went.





This is off Windy Hill Rd. in Middle Falls, just west of  Greenwich.



















This is my scene, WOW.




















My first blocks. This is the first vertical painting in ...














I started at 12:30 and went to 2:30, had a few visitors this is about 1/2 way.  It was challenging painting looking down, and behind the foliage on the right,  The trees on the left hug the waterfall, a fact that eluded me until I got it back huh?




















I'm going to change the line between the fore-ground tree and the waterfall. I also don't know why it was so hard for me to get the sun-lit portions of the white water to jump out, as they did maybe taking the value of everything else!














I admit that when I first heard about this falls, I imagined a rock ledge, no railing and yeah, but this was nice and safe, oh well!

















4 comments:

  1. It waS fun watching this put together but I have to ask why you used a warm color to block in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni, I start out with a toned canvas, and I always tone them way ahead of time. I generally use red/orange under predominately green paintings to provide an immediate pop in color(and a middle value). When I started the practice I would rush frantically to cover this tone, over time I've learned to work with it. I will probably adjust the color now that greens have waned, we'll see.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday, Matt! All the best for this next year.
    As usual, a beautiful scenery and good work :-)

    ReplyDelete