Friday, January 3, 2014

View from shop, Today's (crazy cold) adventure.

0  degrees, who's counting!
I couldn't stop myself today, was it the challenge for challenge's sake,  or just insanity?













This is the view from my shop's slider doors. I wasn't going to paint today, with a high of 2 degrees.  I had to deal with frozen pipes, drafts, etc and wasn't finished until 3:00, later than I'd usually start anyway, but the light was deliciously crisp  and the colors were like nothing I had ever seen, besides I wanted the ultimate bragging rights! or to prove I've lost grip on reality, or I was climbing the walls and had to be outside painting if just for a 1/2 hr.


Note the cement sculpture of a foot (pointing up) I made that in 93' out of cast concrete, and it's a reminder of my previous life as a sculptor....









 I spend a lot of time in my shop, it's where I prepare for just about all my worldly activities, store my tools and materials, pack them etc. It has a wood stove, but I hardly ever bother to light it, the building is not insulated. But today it was where I painted from, at zero degrees I couldn't be anywhere else.















OK so it's cold, but I'm out of the wind, have all my stuff at hand, and I'm moving in and out to paint. It's  6" x 8" the smallest I've ever done!












Sorry the photo is so bad.  I  never paint this close to dusk, but I did this on a whim (or dare) and needed the flash, maybe it's more about compulsion than art (ya think)  but did I learn anything?  (other than if you out side in the cold your fingers will start to tingle after about 45 minutes) I may be nuts, but I'm not stupid and I didn't get frostbite. The paint was seriously thick, and I had to use a lot of medium to even use it. (My pallet hadn't dried since my last painting 3 days ago on New Year's Eve. Mixing colors and all the other decisions that go into a little sketch like this are pared down to the most rudimentary basic, there is no time to think, you do it, and you trust your instincts.


10 comments:

  1. Oh heck, insanity plus compulsion, instinct plus challenge - all manifested and portrayed in some form. Sounds like art to me. By the way, you come up with really interesting and unique compositions. It must be your background as a scuptor. Well done and I am glad you did not get frostbite, proves you also have common 'sense'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment There are plenty of times the un-initiated would be fearful, but statistically your more likely to slip in the shower.

      Delete
  2. great blog. shelter from that wind is so important. Insanity is better this way, than wondering if you like carrots or not :-) Cant wait for the snows so I can test my metal like this..you brave mad artist lol .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, There are times when I think of traveling, at least to the coast, or somewhere down south, but ultimately an artist has to be where they are, where ever that is, and do the best work they can observing and responding, so yeah. Your place, John looks beautiful, with lots of great subject to paint! Best to you, Matt

      Delete
  3. Er - is that 0ºF? As in -18ºC?

    I am soooo glad of the Gulf stream keeping Britain temperate.

    You are utterly crazy, but I love the painting, and the homemade easel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda, There are good things and bad things about being here in Upstate, NY. I often wonder what if my ancestors had settled in Europe? Then I commandeer my "battleship" and drive these roads, and find a quiet spot....

      Delete
  4. Brrr. Beautiful landscape and challenging weather. I hope you are not too affected by this winter storm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chani, for your comments! The temperament of nature is part of the beauty of it! I'm fortunate that snow cushions your fall. Matt

      Delete
  5. Braver than me to fight weather. But have a river in sight so will bundle up, hot coffee, the car, and follow your example

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Carolyn, I'm glad to hear you'll be going out, let me know how it goes! Matt

      Delete