Saturday, January 4, 2014

Content Farm Road, 20 degrees, a heat wave!

20+ F  clear, sunny
Here is where I ended up today, it wasn't nearly as cold as yesterday, the sun with fresh snow!



















I returned to this spot, because I figured I'd be working small (10 x 8) and it's just around the corner, and I have cell service, and it's still freezing, and it's a great scene. Notice the shadow, (it'll start to move, fast) and the sun on the canvas, the last time I was here it was cloudy so I didn't have this issue....







My pallet, yes that is snow, it blew down from the trees, I just mixed it in with the paint, I'm not sure what the result will be....












 My tone had been the orange from November, which I covered over with brown. The light was making it hard to see the paint, but soon it would be in shadow.


















About 1/2 way through, or about 45 minutes, after yesterday it's like I'm lingering, but I'm not, I'm still pushing fast, which means getting the essence, and not fussing or thinking too much. The shadow is moving and the light inside the wooded area is changing by the minute, but I'm able to get some color in some place, so I'll take what I can get, and move on.














I'm closing in, I had to settle in on the snow shadow, and to some extent the dappled light in the woods, chasing the light just doesn't make sense no matter the season, and it often catches me by surprise.










My home-made easel.
















Notice the bungee cord.

6 comments:

  1. Very innovative. I'm a DIYer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob!, It's a tough easel, I throw it around and it doesn't break!

      Delete
  2. Snow on the pallet, how amazing!
    Take care during this "heat wave" ;-) Should I send you a picture from some inspiring Spanish mountain or beach which you could paint from your warm home studio as long as this weather is persisting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chani! Your message is more warming than anything!, and thank you for the sentiment, but I'm thinking of going out soon.... Matt

      Delete
    2. You must be a kind of iron man ;-)))

      Delete