Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lost, found and lost again, Sun, rain, parties; recovered?

The weekend started out really cold and rainy, it was Emma's 14th birthday, so we went to the cabin and had a whole festival of fun, kids and parents alike. by Sunday afternoon the clouds were starting to lighten up and it seemed like the rain had actually stopped!

This is north-west of the cabin (on 6th Lake), I am essentially on "6th Lake Rd." (not much traffic).

In the Adirondacks there are some huge vistas, if you can get to a clearing big enough to see it. There are so many intimate places also, this creek is one of them.




This little place is so visually rich in detail, I was totally lost in trying to organize it. this is the first 45 minutes or so.








 The sound is probably more important.









The light was pretty consistent for the stretch of time I was there, sorry about the glare.








It's kinda a bit nuts!









Monday just before noon, there was sun on the dock,













To begin with there were some nice contrasts, but I had this gnawing feeing my drawing and perspective weren't quite there, I's also tiny @ 5 x 7.






The sun was moving around, so I had to move my panel.









It's difficult to work this small, your eye wants to see more, it doesn't want to crop too small, but it's kinda slimy to get a hold of where you are.






Next up:  Later on Monday,  May, 27

This is Hess pond, otherwise known as the beaver pond, a short walk from the cabin, (the source of the brook  I painted the day before). I painted here a bunch last summer, why not?








This is the start, about 1/2 hr. or so.








This is where it ended up at the end of the session. I had a hard time getting the darks dark and the lights light.







I think this is what happens when I'm set up in a very dark spot, and it's otherwise blindingly bright everywhere else, You just can't see the paint!

I do like the feel and the texture overall, and I think the variety of greens is nice. but it falls short on shadow.

2 comments:

  1. Your process is very interesting. Thank you for including your feelings at the different stages of development. Plein air is the test of a great artist...You've got it. You pinpointed some of the tricks nature shells out...Blinding light; focusing on one thing;(especially when surrounded by so much beauty);atmosphere.

    thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rose Ann, Thank you for the gracious comment! I try to keep it a bit detached from anything too personal, but I do think it's important to be honest about the work. I also think the blog helps me to identify (for myself especially) the good, the bad, and the ugly. Happy Painting, Matt

    ReplyDelete