Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Brownell Corners Rd. Days 1&2

 Sunny and warm, day 1  sunny with clouds, cool, day2

I went down this road last friday (the day of my closing @ SAW) thinking I'd like the do the creek, looking north, like I had done this winter, but the sun was way south, and not even west at all.  I found this, clear and crisp, with the perfect tree.






 I started with a dark purpley ground, and think it was too cool but it worked out ok.  This was about 45 minutes into it, and I was getting different readings on the mid ground and back ground, there were a few clouds, so when one passed over the distant hill, while the sun stayed up the mid ground it was perfect. I changed the distant hills to a dark.




This was how it looked @ 2:30 friday










This is where it it got to @ 1:30 today.  It was much cooler, and there were way more clouds, (I forgot my camera, so I took this @ home)  I had been concerned about the tree,  I hadn't given it enough room and let it go over the edge. I don't know how these disconnects happen, I'm glad it wasn't a hand grenade.  This still needs work, especially the tree, but I think I'd like to go back with a larger canvas and re-composition it so the tree is really in the picture, that is another painting.


This is looking east, and is also another painting.










4 comments:

  1. Thanks again for these blogs. I told my long-time critique group about them, and Rose Klebes sait, "I know Matt. We are planning to paint together!" so have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Mallory, Rose had, for years, urged me to paint again, and I did, and yes it'll be great!

      Delete
  2. Hello, nice to meet you and see your work. Great composition. And I agree, a larger canvas to help the tree become more the center of interest will greatly improve the piece. I am confused as to why the far away mountain is so dark and the foreground so light. Keep painting!

    Carolyn Neville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carolyn, I needed definition between the middle ground and the background, even if I have to "make up" shadows (background) and lights, (middle ground) and go with the principle that the darkest dark in the lights is lighter than the lightest light in the shadow, essentially gathering the values within their respective areas. Maybe. Thanks for your comment Happy Painting!

      Delete