Monday, June 15, 2015

Hudson River @ Albany: a re-do.

68  F  cloudy.
I went down to Albany, to see about putting some work up in the offices of a non-profit.  I thought it would rain all day, but the rain stopped and I went back to a scene I did in April.

#546 Hudson River @ Albany

6-15-15

11x14







Lots of white, is this winter again?

















The sky and the water are not the same, but there not much different.
















The last time I was here I had a similar day, overcast, my painting was weird, ethereal, but I didn't like it.














It was an easy day to paint without sun in my eyes.
















I always adhere to the "most different" rule, which states to compare the scene to your canvas and paint the most different thing between the two. When I do trestle bridges, I amend that rule, and paint what's behind first, then I scratch in the bridge with my pallet knife.











Having a rough textured and dry surface helps at this stage.















Here is where I finished.


















My scene.

















A perfect place for a painter.























Sight-size shot.

















My pallet.






















#512  Hudson River @ Albany

4-25-15

9 x 12













No comments:

Post a Comment