Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Some sun on Tingue Rd, Cambridge, NY

30  F  Sun, then clouds.
OK.

12 x 16













I started with the lights today, something I've never done.














I left the space for the silos, they look a bit weird here but it worked out OK.














I had a hard time trying to get the shadow right, I'm de-facto using a limited pallet, but I didn't want to get the shadow too blue, so it went more to the red.











There was a lot of noise in the farm yard, and I had to reduce it down and put it in it's place, I liked the vantage point painting on the road going up, with a bird's eye view of the farm.











I wasn't even sure I was going to put the trees in, but they were too much  part of the picture, of course I greatly simplified them.












The veil of trees had to be darker and more saturated than anything else.














I loved the way the pattern of bright snow enforced itself through the farm and then the trees, so broken up yet still so strong.












There was some bright sun when I started, and it slowly became hazy then cloudy, It was a very reasonable thing to deal with, thanks, Mom!












My pallet: essentially I've been using Ultra marine, Burnt sienna, cadmium yellow,  titanium and zinc white. I've left on it, lemon (cadmium), alizerine crimson and a touch of cobalt, but the last three colors are used very sparingly, as you can see it looks like a mess, that's because it is!, I go from one type of mud to the other, feeding and pushing the pile in one direction then the next.











Looking down the hill, not a sole came by, close to 2 hours!, mostly glove-less.














7 comments:

  1. looks like we use a similar pallet of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great scenes to work with up there. Good job, Matt. Can't wait to see what this scene looks like in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! There is some special light on this painting. Like Stephen, I cannot wait to see what you will make of this in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you both, Stephen and Chani, your kindness and encouragement mean the world to me and I want you to know how much I appreciate it! One thing is that when the leaves grow back, there might not be any view from this spot, such are the changes in seasons! I'll certainly scope it out, but who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are welcome, Matt. You are right, I hadn't thought about the fact that the leaves would not you let any view of the spot... But those leaves will maybe offer some interesting light effects or something exciting as well?

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes Chani, it shows us that every day is truly unique and unpredictable, there is beauty everywhere and anywhere, it just depends on the person who's looking, and I think, anyway it's exciting and a real blessing! thanks!

    ReplyDelete