Monday, February 3, 2014

McMillan road, x 4 grey prevails

30  F  Cloudy, dank.
11 x 14

This is the 4 th time at this spot.

As you can see there isn't anything but grey.










I started at about  2:15.















I started with the far hills, and because the dark masses were split between bluish grey and brownish grey I chose to split the dark application, and put in the sky anyway. The drawing is way off, as is the color of the hills I just put in, but you can't see it until you get more in.








The other dark. Always checking drawing with scene and making changes as I find them.














The process is a constant back and forth look at the scene and the canvas, and always correcting, until it'll pass.












It's easier to see that the outline of the far hills were way over exaggerated, when I have a lot of the rest of the elements in play.












Having a ground that can be used in back of the white of the snow I just put down is a real help, and for this reason I like having a course canvas to get that texture.











Sorry this is out of focus!















I normally wait untill the end to put the trees in and tighten a few things up, even thought it seems fuzzy still.













Here is the scene taken at the start, as you can see there was no change in lighting during the session. I just got cold!













I felt like I could have gone a bit longer, maybe put in the telephone pole or more tree trunks.  I spent 1 1/2 hours and it wasn't that cold, but the dampness got to me, and my hands and feet were done.



















2 comments:

  1. Hi Matt, So enjoying your blog. Congratulations on the piece in Plein Air Magazine Feb Mar 2014 p. 79 -- Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, you broke the news to me!, I looked and found it on line, but haven't seen the print copy yet. I'm glad your enjoying the blog.

      Delete